Sunday, January 24, 2016

School Supply Distribution in San Rafael


In Guate (as the locals say), the school year begins in January and runs through September. Today, team two traveled to the rural town of San Rafael to distribute school supplies. As we arrived, a long line of mothers and children had formed in anticipation of kicking off the school year.  (Think Cities Sampler Guate style.)  We handed out over 500 bags of supplies to preschool through junior high students.  One girl, perhaps 10 years old, came alone to collect the supplies for all of her siblings – six in total.  Each bag was quite heavy, let’s say heavier than a milk jug.  It took only a bit of help, but she wrapped all six bags in a blanket and successfully walked out of the school year carrying them on top of her head!  Time and time again this week, we have been reminded that if you empower the mothers and educate the children, life here changes for the better. 
Recess was so much fun!  I played tickle tag with the girls and did cartwheels with the boys.  And the kids would walk by and just brush their fingertips across our low backs – as if to see if we were real.  Then my roommate, Julie, and I got to meet Glenda. She is a six year old girl that Julie and I have decided to sponsor through Common Hope.  Glenda is a sweet and soft spoken girl with the eyes of an ancient soul. She told us about her siblings (two older and two younger), her pets (lots of chickens), and that she likes school. She is just starting her preschool year.  She gave me a high five and we took photos that we promise to send to her!  I hope that, by sponsoring her education, Julie and I can have a positive influence on this girl’s life.  In particular, I hope that we can watch her grow into a confident, educated woman who can do what her heart desires. 
Finally, we took a tour of San Rafael outside the school yard. We walked around the back of the school along a ‘road’ that was deeply rutted and speckled in animal feces. We walked alongside houses with walls of corn stalk.  We passed a woman aged by the sun and grit, walking barefoot and carrying a bundle of firewood on top of her head.  I cried again. Sacred tears, as we have started calling them. The ones that I can’t explain in words, but that I feel deep in my heart. The ones that make me reach out to hold the hand of whoever is closest.  This week in Guatemala has changed me.  For the better.  And I am thankful. 

With Hope,

Linsey

No comments:

Post a Comment